Sunday, October 5, 2008

PowerPoint As An Instructional Tool

I found this assignment to be challenging and rewarding. Not only did I brush up on my Power Point skills but I also tackled the dreaded Excel. I think that students will find Power Point used for lessons fun and informative. It is a great tool for the classroom and it lets your students explore and learn new computer skills on their own. I think using Excel to chart will be beneficial in many classes such as science and math. I really enjoyed the experience. My comfort level with Power Points is high. There are some many options to expand on. I will continue to learn more the more I use it.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree Cheryl this assignment was chalenging. I am glad to see you were able to make it through. I too think Excel would be a great application for math or science.

skipvia said...

Like a lot of assignments, this one has a dual purpose and you picked up on it--getting a bit more familiar with PowerPoint and with Excel. Both are applications that can be used in a huge variety of ways across K-12. Charting is such a basic tool for just about every subject.

I'm glad this assignment challenged you. I think a similar project might also challenge your 4th graders. How about having them do a PowerPoint slide show on how you reduce a fraction to simplest terms? They would have to understand the process well enough to "teach" it,and I suspect it would engage them in the process.